Saturday, August 29, 2015

Some times your associates become Frenemies, but even a frenemy is not bad

There are people you meet that become associates, and sometimes mentors only to turn out to be what we call today as a Frenemy. A Frenemy is a person that on the surface is friendly, but would just as soon, bury you and shut you down as to deal with you any more. These Frienemies will do underhanded things just to unplug you, or demean your progress especially when that progress might just bite them in their wallet. 
One of the biggest Frienemies I have is a broadcaster and rodeo announcer in Murtaugh Idaho. Zeb Bell.  I remember Zeb, not from KLIX but when I was at KLIX, he was at rival KART. There was a short discussion at that year' Farm Expo at CSI in Twin Falls where KLIX was doing a remote and me as the Klucker. I told Zeb what our then tenn based truckers organization was doing as far as a otr truckers 24/7 radio station. Zeb said he was interested, would have me on his TV show on KMVT there and give us a positive push. The call back never came , nor anything else. A few years later when I first moved to Heyburn Idaho, I met Zeb at JB's Big Boy there in Heyburn, for lunch. Wouldn't ya'll know it , the Check from the foundation was late, so I had to bum Zeb for the cost of the meals. Hey don't ya'll just love the US. Postal Service. which I will say at least in Heyburn Idaho is one of only three I will say does that right the other two are in Glenn's Ferry Idaho, and Hazzard Idaho. The same gal, who has delivered the mail in all three locations, Roxie in Glenn's Ferry, Michelle in HeyBurn , and of course Miss TizzDale of Hazzard. In all cases, they knew of the various business' I was involved in and knew to look for things relating to aviation, things trucking/toewing etc. Most likely it was for us. 
Anyway so I met with Zeb, he said, go out to KBAR and lets put something together. So I did, and had thought we had a gig going only to find Gina Jameson there, had poo-pooed the idea. 
Of course there are other pieces to this story, in 2012 The Knytes and I were in the place where we had planned on buying KBAR after CEO Kim Lee had pitched the idea that the station was for sale. Our plan was to move KBAR out of where it was at, change its call letters to KDXB and run the station as a Radio Disney station during the day and over the road truckers/ towing demographic aimed station overnight. Apparently this did not sit well with Zeb and a few others there, so the offer was withdrawn. After several thousands of dollars in investment in both people as well as physical location amongst other things it took us in the Knytes to find ourselves again, and recover money wise. 
However Zeb started a blog, said he was doing up a magazine, but that never bared fruit, but seems as though everything we did or were about to do, Zeb was copying , not duplicating as he can't nor can anyone duplicate HazzardAyre, or any part of it. We finally after 3 years got to Gooding and we were there the smell of stockings and diesel fuel were in the air and on the air. Then just about the time I was in talks with a major radio player in Boise, one of our intern crew made a phone call that soured the milk. However we could have came out of that if the gal darn United States Post Office, been able to make mail delivery 8 blocks west of my house to our studios there in Gooding. As it was no check from the club, no pay of rent, and one evening we got booted by an hour quick change of the lock. Hey go figure the asshole who runs a major real estate firm in Gooding was sneakier than a Jap . And about as crooked as a black Cuban. So equipment lost, credibility shattered. Maybe this was a good thing, since events after changed my way of thinking, don't believe in everyone and every thing. Expecting people to do what the say when they say, and still retain a bit of understanding is not that of which is mainstream today. I will say that meeting with a sweet military gal who let me tap into her wifi there for a short time, and all, who this one gal is one of only 4 women who have total voting membership with the Knytes. Even she told me to beware of that real estate guy, but I wasn't. 
Yet we gave birth from that studio, the first online radio station dedicated to military aviation or vintage military aviation that was later taken over by an outfit out of DC called Warbird Radio. Our show was a lot more viscious and rebel and AyreWolfFM was in its time slot one of thee most listened to online stations ever to be on radio. It was through AyreWolfFM that I met Ellie May(Nurse GoodBody) .
 Whose these are her sweet webbed toes
 and who let me have this much access and time so I could do things like this:
 
 
 who also was into me. That's a story for another time.
But that said, it did give me and the club to remap and rethink our radio werx. By mid 2011 I was in the mini Cassia area, after a short haul with Charlie and A1, who I still count as a real friend. But there was a night in Buhl, Idaho a small town 17 miles west of Twin Falls Idaho. That I was conjuring up how to best unite all things Hazzard County radio and all things AyreWolfFM into one syndicated newspaper and eventual radio show. Then it hit me: HazzardAyre Radio. 
Do you think we are any better off now than we were then? Yes in some ways , not so much in others. But as sure as the sun rises , there will be someone like Zeb, Gina or Matt from Warbird Radio who will try to copy, what HazzardAyre Radio is, or its methodology but can never can and never will duplicate The Knytes or HazzardAyre. 
TTYLY